Things to do in Auckland (including on a long layover)
I often get asked about things to do in Auckland, particularly as it has become a bit of a stopover location for Australians for good flights to the US and South America.
Here is a very brief summary. I need to go back to Auckland to see all these areas again – unfortunately my last few trips to Auckland have just been inside the airport.
Nice neighbourhoods to check out:
- Ponsonby (Ponsonby Rd and generally walk around for architecture)
- Herne Bay
- Federal St (centre of town)
- Devonport (across ferry)
- Parnell (older style)
- Mission Bay
Things to do:
- Sky tower, touristy but most people enjoy it. Only worth it on a clear day.
- Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life if you like aquariums – pretty cool, made in the 80s from disused industrial materials
- Museum in Wellington is better, but Auckland Maritime Museum is cool
- Walk around the marinas and see the “million” sails
- Jump on a ferry to Waiheke (wineries), Rangitoto (volcano walk), or even just across the harbour, the ferries are in a good location near downtown so you can do this before or after seeing the sights, most ferry rides are 30 mins.
- Walk from “one side of NZ to the other”.
- Omanawanui Track, Whatipu.
- Near the airport: Villa Maria winery
- Waiheke Island has plenty
- North side – Babich